To be honest, I'm not even sure that I know what having "moves like Jagger" means. But don't worry - that doesn't hinder my enjoyment of this song.
05 August 2011
I love reading. I've always loved reading, but as I've gotten older, I've found myself reading less and less - life gets in the way, you know? I had really big plans for my summer reading. Summer isn't over yet, but my progress so far is kind of disappointing. Here's what I've read so far -
Laurie Halse Anderson Forge
The second book in LHA's "Seeds of America" series; details Curzon's time spent with the Revolutionary Army. Took me awhile to get through as it is slower moving than the first novel. Still, loved it. LHA can do no wrong in my eyes.
George Orwell Animal Farm
I personally have no idea how I made it through both a Bachelor's AND a Master's degree in English without having read this book. It was an easy read - finished in an afternoon - but creepy as hale. Not messing with pigs no more.
Neil Gaiman American Gods
Boyfriend is a big Neil Gaiman fan and I'd only ever read Coraline, so I figured I should give him a proper chance. I sort of feel like I'm still digesting this book, even though I finished it in early July, so I'm still not totally sure how I feel about Neil Gaiman. Will report back.
Sara Shepard The Lying Game
To be honest, this book was NOT on my summer reading list, but was a last-minute addition when I found out that ABC Family will be debuting a series based on the book in mid-August. Twins! Separated at birth! One is privileged! The other is an orphan! SWITCH! I really love trashy YA lit series..
Anna Godbersen Rumors
Like the Luxe series! It's like Gossip Girl, but in the late 1800's. Honestly, it's a pretty bad series, but I have a serious penchant for imagining myself in giant poufy dresses, sipping champagne at fancy parties, and flirting with Chuck Bass-style bad boys. Which is basically all that happens in these books.
That's all I've managed to get through so far, but here's what else is on my list:
- Laurie Halse Anderson Fever 1793 - can't get enough LHA.
- Jay Asher Thirteen Reasons Why - I read a lot of YA lit, have you noticed?
- Chris Cleave Little Bee - I'm a sucker for a good cover. I also, occasionally, enjoy being able to discuss books with other adults.
- Suzanne Collins Mockingjay - YES. I STILL HAVE NOT READ IT.
- Lev Grossman The Magicians - this books has been on my list multiple.years.in.a.row. And now there's a sequel!
- Charlaine Harris Dead Until Dark - ALSO not on my original list, but the series was recommended to me by many friends.
- Herman Hesse Siddhartha - I started this one. Not sure if I'll finish it. At least it's short!
- Stephen King Full Dark, No Stars - another book to appease Boyfriend. I'm actually 3/4 of the way through. And have been since January.
- Audrey Niffenegger Her Fearful Symmetry - I started this book last summer but it was due back at the library before I finished. Very intrigued.
- Gregory David Roberts Shantaram - another recommendation. Also I think the word "Shantaram" is fun to say.
As you can see, I should not be spending ANY time doing ANYTHING EXCEPT reading for the rest of August. I'm a very ambitious list maker.
Have you read any of these books? What'd you think? What's on your summer reading list?
04 August 2011
It's been an interesting week.. I spent the weekend in extreme pain from stomach cramps caused by fallen-from-glory Primatene, and the first half of the week unable to breathe and unable to sleep. I should probably never have children because I do NOT do well on no sleep. Since I've been real grumpy this week and it's Thursday, I present to you a list of things that I don't love - I call it Celebrities That I Irrationally Hate.
Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson
Something about him just gives me the heebie jeebies...
NO ONE is as impressed with Lea Michele as Lea Michele.
Too unabashedly whimsical. Boyfriend has a crush on Zooey and it makes me question his taste in ladies.
I mean REALLY.
I mean REALLY.
How's your week going?